Friday 8 October 2010

Initial Photographs for Short Assignment

The weather wasn't perfect for photographing underneath a bonnet or in a car but I gave it a go. I had to use between 1/30 to 1/80 shutter speed to expose the photographs well. I was using an aperture of F5.6, this was for two reasons the first being I wanted a short depth of field the second being due to poor light. I didn't want to use  a flash as I think natural light would give nice tonal range to the photographs.

I used my 18-55 mm lens to experiment with today, the results were pretty good. The main problem I had was with the focal distance, at times I wanted to get closer to the subject but couldn't as I wasn't able to focus it properly. I've played around with the images by cropping them and a couple had colour casts on which I have corrected.

Here are my 10 initial photographs;




















The next step I will be taking is to try using a macro lens on other areas of the car, possibly underneath the car.

1 comment:

  1. I really like these, think they work really well. Really like the desaturated kind of tone that some of them have.

    I really like photos 3,5 and 6. They're definately my favourites.

    The only image i'm not too keen on is photo 8. I'm not sure why but i just don't think it's a strong as the others.

    ReplyDelete